Monday 8 April 2013

Parents evenings and reflections

Anees attends a playschool in Parkwood. It's an amazing school that not only offers fun and educational activities but also seeks to offer support to families. This is done through monthly meetings where parents get together and have the opportunity of listening to professionals talk about a wide range of topics. The school provides babysitting and dinner for the little ones so you are at complete ease of mind.

The best part of these evenings is being able to talk candidly about your feelings and experiences to other parents/couples who are going through the same thing. I'm always amazed at how we all at times feel lonely in this journey of parenthood, yet if we just talk openly and say what's on our minds (without fear of being judged) we will find that 9 times out of 10 there are at least 4 other people wanting to say the same thing.

The topic tonight was Self Love. When the discussion floor was opened everybody agreed that there is a large amount of guilt involved when we want to do something for ourselves. As I sat there and listened to tales of mothers and fathers giving up who they are or what they loved because they thought they needed to make these sacrifices, I was so grateful that I wasn't at that point anymore.

It's taken me 4 long years of therapy and battling inner demons to finally learn to love myself enough to fulfill my needs. I have Anees to thank for that! Had he not been born I might have still been going through life putting others first. I might have still not known this new found confidence and sense of self respect and self esteem. I've learnt that as a mother I don't have to give him all of me. I need to nourish myself first so that I can give him and the other men in my life the best of me.

Thank you Anees. I love you madly even though you drive me insane at times. Your birth has meant my rebirth and I can't thank God enough for blessing me with you!

Xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment