Monday 15 April 2013

H&H, where my career began and I met the man of my dreams

For those of you who don't know, I'm a dental hygienist. Have been for the last 9 years. It's not the route I had planned though. I kinda fell into it. I wanted to be a hairdresser and my parents would hear none of it! They wanted me to be a doctor!

So I set off to Wits and started with a BSc, after my first year I realized it wasn't for me. So I swopped to a BA with a major in Psychology and International Relations. My dad sadly passed away in my 2nd year. On completion I decided to take a gap year. A tad late in life I know. My brother in law is a dentist and he offered me a position as a receptionist and then accounts clerk. My main function was capturing and submitting medical aid claims and dealing with queries.

During my time there I ended up assisting my brother in law in the surgery and my interest in dentistry started. I recall fainting while watching him do a surgical extraction. (Now I can very easily eat my lunch during open flap root planing) I was keen on studying but not keen on the 4 years involved in becoming a dentist. He suggested I study Oral hygiene. My brother in law has always been my mentor. I turn to him for career advice and just advice in general and he has never led me astray. I've been having itchy feet to study again and after consultation with him I have decided I'd like to study hypnotherapy. Watch this space!

I actually left my admission interview crying. Prof Wessel Holtshousen was a horrible man. He drilled me for not finishing my initial degree. He wasn't keen on admitting me in case I decide not to finish studies again. At the time Wits only accepted and trained 12 oral hygienists per year. So it was tough to get in. I was deflated after the interview. I received a letter that I had been put on the waiting list and would be granted admission should the accepted applicants before me not be able to fill the position. Much to my surprise I was accepted! I've never looked back.

It's taken me 9 years to build a successful oral hygiene practice. I absolutely love the CBD. The people are humbling and inspiring and nothing beats the vibe of the inner city.

Boys you might not always know what you wanna do or where you wanna be, just listen to the universe and follow the signs around you and you will find your place in this world.

Will post soon about how I met your dad;) Will also post about the amazing people. I've met in the CBD and the long lasting friendships I've built.

Love Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment